Hear Everything with Digital Monitorb-admin
A helpful feature of the BTECH DMR-6X2, especially for amateurs using a new repeater, is Digital Monitor. Sometimes called “promiscuous mode,” Digital Monitor allows you to hear all of the activity on a particular repeater, no matter what time slot a talk group is on or what color code a repeater might use. Simply put, Digital Monitor allows you to use a repeater even if you do not know how it is configured or what rules the repeater has in place.
Turning on Digital Monitor will allow you to hear all DMR conversations on the current frequency, no matter what talk group (or private call), time slot, or color code is being used. In addition, Digital Monitor will let you jump in and join the conversation. The radio will configure itself automatically.
You can enable this feature manually using the radio’s menu:
- Press Menu to enter the main menu, then the up and down keys to highlight Digi Moni, then Select to set the Digital Monitor parameters.
- Select DigiMoni Switch to turn Digital Monitor on or off. Select Off to turn this feature off. Select Single Slot to monitor activity only the current time slot. Select Double Slot to monitor activity on both time slots.
- Select DigiMoni Cc to set the color codes that you wish to monitor. Select Any Cc to monitor activity using all color codes.
- Select DigiMoni Id to select the digital IDs that you want to monitor. Select Any Id to monitor all of the talk groups being received by the repeater.
- Select Slot Hold to turn this parameter on or off. We recommend that you turn this parameter on. The reason for this is that when you receive a signal on one time slot the radio will continue to monitor that time slot for a short period of time instead of switching over to the other time slot.
To make it easier to turn Digital Monitor on and off, you can assign DigiMoni Switch to one of the PF keys. For example, I assigned DigiMoni Switch to PF1 Long. Now, when I give PF1 a long press, it cycles from Off to Single Slot to Double Slot and back to Off.
You can also program this feature via DMR-6X2 programming software. To program the Digital Monitor parameters, first double click on Optional Settings, then click on the Digital Fun tab. You’ll see all the parameter above on that tab. To program a function key to turn Digital Monitor on and off, first double click on Optional Settings, then click on the Key Function tab, and program your selected key.
While in Digital Monitor mode, if you hear a talk group that you’d like to participate in, press the *_ key. The screen will display the message, “Monitor Response Setup Successfully,” and you will be able to talk on that talk group. To add that talk group to your radio’s talk group list, press the #↑key. Then, choose a zone and press Select to save the new channel to the zone.